Motorised Dish

I would guess you are a few degrees out at best. How did you measure south it needs to more accurate that just a guess.

So even tho ive moved the full lot i will need to change the elevation off the dish??.

i thought the elevation for the dish would stay the same and id just have to move left to right to get signal

So even tho ive moved the full lot i will need to change the elevation off the dish??.

i thought the elevation for the dish would stay the same and id just have to move left to right to get signal
It may be either or, elevation shouldn't mean a lot, but if you were on the edge previously, you could be waay off now.

You will have to start again from scratch, do you remember what Sat you set up for originally, if not then try and set up for 0.8west (thor) and go to bbc world news and try and get a 90 per cent plus signal on that channel, if you can get as close to 100 per cent signal,the better it will be ,sounds like you have a roof to stand on, a decent sat meter should come in handy, did you set it up first time yourself

Yeah me and my lad set it up one moving dish while other sits and watches signal strength bar.

i have the alsat dark motor,now on the bottom theres a dial with points on and on top theres a digital screen.when setting to zero which one do you go by as if u use analog set to zero digital gives different

Your motor sounds a lot newer than my 14 year old alsat dark motor, this is the 2nd house that I have set it up in, I think I reset to 0 digital, I did use a sat meter and it did take a good 15 mins to find and get a decent signal on 0.8, but once I tightened everything up, I wasnt getting all the sats that I should have got, so I went on to www.dishpointer and had a read around there, I then seen that 5.0w was the best sat to set up for in this address, I am on the outskirts of Belfast and quite high up near the mountain, once I got a good signal on 5.0w, all the other sats fell into place, and nine years later its never budged, but in most cases 0.8w is the recommended sat to set up for, but it does vary, have a look on dishpointer, might get some more insight there, on here on techkings, linesman66 always has great advice regarding motorised systems, hopefully he may be able to help.

That read out on the top is the sats, you need to use the 0 on the motor ie use the pointer. Are you using USALS or diseq?

Because you moved it, its a new install, start from scratch, use aljazeera and the gospel channel on 0.8w. BBC news is encrypted. So use Al jazeera for the Vertical signal, its 12418 etc. Then use the gospel channel for the Horizontal. 11357h, 24500, 7/8. The elevation on dish and motor stays the same.

That read out on the top is the sats, you need to use the 0 on the motor ie use the pointer. Are you using USALS or diseq?

Because you moved it, its a new install, start from scratch, use aljazeera and the gospel channel on 0.8w. BBC news is encrypted. So use Al jazeera for the Vertical signal, its 12418 etc. Then use the gospel channel for the Horizontal. 11357h, 24500, 7/8. The elevation on dish and motor stays the same.
Really bbc world news is encrypted now, it didnt used to be, always used it to set up, theres also CGTN news channel too.

With USALS it should be easy peasy but when you moved the whole rig it has to be 100% aligned again ie vertical and motor dish pole in a straight line when at 0 but it should all come back to you. What receiver are you using? Check your USALS as you may have tweaked them since last time. So go 0.8w select al hazeera dish will move a fraction then move whole rig slowly until you get picture then tweak signal, do same for god channel, then when happen tighten up and away you go. Make sure no obstructions in line of sight, trees etc. If your still stuck do a few pics if you can.

still getting nowhere all i seem to get is sky,manual for the motor tells me to set latitude at 36 but according to dishpointer should be 54

this is from dark motor manual

2. Setting Elevation Angle.(A)
Adjust the motor elevation angle using an inclinoneter or the Latitude scale on one sides of the
Motor according to the Latitude of your position.

yet on there diagram they show is this

Your Site Latitude
Elevation Angle
Declination Angle
Angle
Dish Bracket Angle

Sometimes you just have to go old school as a last resort, you should already be facing true south so try as you done before point the dish in the general direction that you feel it needs to go, then tinker about with the elevation and see if a signal comes in, If I were you I would spend as much time as possible tinkering with it, as it will be well worth it if you can get it set up for when the sport resumes, Euro subs are still pretty cheap, 0.8w, 13e, 19e, 23e, and 28e is uk sat, the 1st four have plenty of choices for all the main leagues in football, plus plenty of movie and tv channels there too.

I dont know how old your motor is but if it was working already then you should not need to adjust anything! All you ensure rig 100% level. Those motors used to have elevation written on them but this was changed to latitude for later versions and the manual did not change. Forget about sky for the moment, set your motor as it was, there should be some mark, look at side and you should be able to read either elevation of latitude, if its latitude use 54 etc. There is an old video on u tube that shows how to set up. Look at this image it shows the wrong location for the motor elevation and the correct one.

shows exactly how rig is set up.

The image shows finger to the right is wrong ginger to left is where your elevation/latitude should be. Are you sure there are no obstructions. WHat size dish are you uisng? and receiver.

I seriously give up spent hours got sky back again but nothing else comes on.Checked loads of times and its level across the brackets and also level on the pipe,dish is fixed properly to the tube.

going to have to see if anyone can come with a signal box

If you say a bit more I can guide you, when you say you can get sky what are you doing? I have other pics as well and I have the same motor as you. When you moved the lot did you just take off dish, then motor. I am baffled. Those 2 channels I gave you are super strong. And finally what sats did you get before you moved the dish? SKY is super strong so you may get it but signal could be low. Have you any trees in the way? and can you do pics?

Back