Motorised Dish

Right, before I take the plunge and get one of these kits the reaper always recommends, is it particularly unadvisable not to bold a motorised dish onto a shed roof? line of sight won't be an issue for most of what I'm bothered about, just curious as to whether anyone thinks there may be any particular problems that aren't so obvious.

Also prepared for a world of frustration...

what do you class as a shed.?
some form of wooden shed structure will NOT be suitable,
too much movement

It’s wooden but it’s ******* heavy stuff, not the kind of shed you think of when you walk into the likes of B&Q with glorified Wendy houses.

Not saying you’re wrong as no doubt a dish is a heavy piece of kit, mind. Just trying to think of a way to get something bigger than the mini dish up there without ending up kipping in the garden with it [emoji23]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It’s wooden but it’s ******* heavy stuff, not the kind of shed you think of when you walk into the likes of B&Q with glorified Wendy houses.

Not saying you’re wrong as no doubt a dish is a heavy piece of kit, mind. Just trying to think of a way to get something bigger than the mini dish up there without ending up kipping in the garden with it [emoji23]

could you maybe drive a scaf pole into the ground beside the shed, and just use the shed to mount some additional support arms to the pole?
its not really the weight of the dish, its the wind force on it, you could see your shed roof being ripped off.... :grimacing:

That’s what I was thinking of doing, rather than just plonking it on top and hoping for the best. Didn’t make myself too clear [emoji23]

I can get my hands on some scaffolding poles if it’s something that’s doable. Not too sure I’d get away with having something that unsightly out front though. Where I’m thinking is ideal really as there’s a kind of little field thing behind my back garden and I reckon I could get a more than decent arc.

That’s what I was thinking of doing, rather than just plonking it on top and hoping for the best. Didn’t make myself too clear [emoji23]

I can get my hands on some scaffolding poles if it’s something that’s doable. Not too sure I’d get away with having something that unsightly out front though. Where I’m thinking is ideal really as there’s a kind of little field thing behind my back garden and I reckon I could get a more than decent arc.

I'm confused now,
do you have a shed in your front garden?
you need to mount your dish where it has a clear line of sight to the south, or to whatever satellites you hope to receive
satelliteAR is a good app for android phones

It’s in the back but the property is on an angle so I guess you could say it’s kind of down the side... it’s hard to explain.

But anyway I’ve looked at an iPhone equivalent of that and it looks as though I’ll be able to get like of sight to what I’m after picking up, as well as to the south. That’s possible on the house wall as well, I’m just hoping I can get away without having to drill into the wall and have another eyesore up there.

out of line slightly,
remember, being out maybe 1/4 degree on the first sat, could well end up being a degree or more out somewhere else,
NOT being plumb, thats a whole new MASSIVE can of worms, that will cause you issues you will NEVER resolve
HAVE YOU CHECKED PLUMB,?
AT LEAST 27 TIMES.??????
Thats a question..... how / what did you do to check and install it to make sure it was? Now was that the pole? Or can it be done on the dish bracket?

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

Thats a question..... how / what did you do to check and install it to make sure it was? Now was that the pole? Or can it be done on the dish bracket?

This needs to be 100% plumb on the bracket attached to the wall (what the motor bolts onto) ... I used an app on my smart phone and got it to 0.01 accuracy but you could use a spirit level or good old fashioned plum bob :)

Youd think the motor bracket could have a clock face rotational adjustment to make this easy.

Ok massive hands up here from me and my lad and to say what absolute fanny's we are and we wouldn't make a satellite installers.

When we set it up we got everything due south entered lat ect sent to thor then adjusted it for signal then found we couldn't get out else,we were only move the dish left and right on the pole where as we should have moved the motor.When we realized after reading about the 100th guide it dawned on us where we were going wrong.So soon as we moved the motor on the pole left we got thor,tightened it up moved to sly and bang there she was picking up all sorts now.

So massive sorry to all who have taken the time to reply to this long winded post

@toffee not sure if i'm reading this right - the dish should be mounted on the motor perfectly straight and bolted tight then the motor rotated on the wall bracket to get the correct sat for initial setup... is that not what you've done?

@toffee not sure if i'm reading this right - the dish should be mounted on the motor perfectly straight and bolted tight then the motor rotated on the wall bracket to get the correct sat for initial setup... is that not what you've done?

No,I’ve been moving the dish on the motor bracket,biggest mistake ever no wonder I’ve been tearing my hair out.Thought it strange I wasn’t getting loads of sats.Spent months on and off this,many arguments a long the way included

Ok bringing this old post up again,I've had to move my dish it’s slightly lower down and on the shed roof.I have the pole straight as anything i can get sky 28.2 and 90% signal yet nothing else falls into place,some channels i get 70% but no picture anyone offer any advice plz

Motor and dish were set up facing south elevation on the dish and moto wasnt changed.All i did was taken it down and reinstalled in the new place,still facing right direction its just been moved a few meters across and a meter down.

Back