MTPockets OpenATV 4.2 2015/08/23 Zgemma Star 2S / 2 / H1 / H2 Backup4

hi folks, total noob question, can i update to this newer version online from box? i looked in software mangement/software update and it shows 49 updates...any help would be appreciated, cheers.

**update** decided to press update then got warning my image is out of date and box might not restart, so just left it, not really sure what to do..

Last edited:
Hi folks, total noob question, can i update to this newer version online from box? i looked in software mangement/software update and it shows 49 updates...any help would be appreciated, cheers.

**update** decided to press update then got warning my image is out of date and box might not restart, so just left it, not really sure what to do..

Over the air updates are safe on ATV - it's very rare that an upgrade would cause problems even if you get that warning. However you won't see the changes I made to the build (IPTV, BT bouquets, Weather Plugin, picons working etc) because these are configuration changes you'll need to reflash to get them. Don't worry about noobish questions we all started out noobs (y)

This looks even better than the last build i have installed on my zgemma last week. Thanks a lot for your hard work.

Thanks @mtpockets, as you might have gathered my box is already setup, is it possible to restore from backup using this latest build?

Thanks @mtpockets. My box is already setup with epg on my usb stick, is it possible to save my settings/epg?? I have a custom bouquet that I use for my firestick, is it possible to backup that to save me creating an new one and adding the channels again? Or is it best just to start from scratch?

Thanks.

Hi folks, total noob question, can i update to this newer version online from box? i looked in software mangement/software update and it shows 49 updates...any help would be appreciated, cheers.

Over the air updates are safe on ATV - it's very rare that an upgrade would cause problems even if you get that warning. However you won't see the changes I made to the build (IPTV, BT bouquets, Weather Plugin, picons working etc) because these are configuration changes you'll need to reflash to get them. Don't worry about noobish questions we all started out noobs (y)

On the same note, do I have to apply all 49 updates one after the other?

Forgive me if I get this wrong, but the way I understand it is that if you do step 5 in the instructions it should sort you out...

5) Scan for channels...... (go and make a coffee this takes a while! but you only have to do this one time!)
(Menu, Setup, Service Searching, Automatic Scan, Green)

---------- Post Merged at 07:14 PM ----------

Can I use any size hard drive once I've set the box up? Thanks

No reason why you can't use any size disk

Is there any reason why my zgemma 2s seems really slow at doing anything with this image. One issue I am having is that when I pause rewind and fast forward it seems it very slow at responding and you see the rotating circle in the top corner.

i am using a 32gb usb flash drive if that's any help

Last edited:
Not clear with the picon folder

Do you flash box first then ftp picon folder using dcc (to where???) or put the picon folder in the zgemma folder? won't that make the flash file too big? how will the picon folder make its way to the box if its on the root of the USB but not within the zgemma folder??

On the same note, do I have to apply all 49 updates one after the other?

NOOOOOOO... it will update them all at once ROFL

---------- Post Merged at 11:05 PM ----------

Can I use any size hard drive once I've set the box up? Thanks

Yes - not tried over 2TB but apparently 3 is ok....never heard of anyone trying more

---------- Post Merged at 11:06 PM ----------

thank you pockets. does this new update add the new bt channels?
It sure does.....

---------- Post Merged at 11:08 PM ----------

Is there any reason why my zgemma 2s seems really slow at doing anything with this image. One issue I am having is that when I pause rewind and fast forward it seems it very slow at responding and you see the rotating circle in the top corner.

i am using a 32gb usb flash drive if that's any help

Is it USB3 by any chance? For some reason USB3 flash drives seem slow on Zgemmas also make sure it's a decent brand

---------- Post Merged at 11:14 PM ----------

Not clear with the picon folder

Do you flash box first then ftp picon folder using dcc (to where???) or put the picon folder in the zgemma folder? won't that make the flash file too big? how will the picon folder make its way to the box if its on the root of the USB but not within the zgemma folder??

Flash box first, then unzip the picons.zip you downloaded which contains a folder called usr - ftp this across to your USB. The backup image has the paths for the picons set to hdd/usr/share/enigma2/picons so will pick them up from your usb they don't need to be in the box

Hi
yes it is usb3 it is a good brand but it is one of the smaller drives.

What brand of usb 2 flash drives would you recommend as I will try one of those

Ok, I'm going to attempt to flash this newer version, couple of questions first though.

i have a custom bouquet that I use for my Amazon fire stick, is it possible to create a backup of this to save me having to start again and add my channels to it? and as my box is already setup with peg on sub drive do I remove it and format it via pic or remove I and format from box?

Thanks

peg on sub
EPG on USB??? lol

Go to your boxes IP in your internet browser on your PC/Laptop/Tablet then when in OpenWebIf go to the bottom left of the window and you'll see the extras menu - in that there is a bouquet editor - export your Amazon Fire bouquet and save on your PC.

Remove your USB from the box and do the HDDGuru full format and then a windows format (or buy another USB just to flash with) as once used in the box the zgemma corrupts the master boot record. If you're just using your existing USB for in the box (ie not for flashing) you can just reinitialise it from the box after you have flashed.

Brilliant, thanks mate, using another pen drive to flash, just done it then realised I flashed older build Doh!! Flashing most recent now....

Last edited:
Well managed to get new build flashed, had problems connecting to network but eventually got it. I noticed that all channels where their when box rebooted, didn't need to rescan (or should I have?). Not to keen on the big square that appears when changing channel using buttons, is it possible to revert to old small version?

Well managed to get new build flashed, had problems connecting to network but eventually got it. I noticed that all channels where their when box rebooted, didn't need to rescan (or should I have?). Not to keen on the big square that appears when changing channel using buttons, is it possible to revert to old small version?

As far as no need to rescan - no as there has been no channel frequency changes since i did the backup - if you needed to change region you'd need to rescan with ABM though.

The 'big square' is the extended number scan extension - this is the only way you can change the delay when entering a channel number and some folk said the stock way was too quick and difficult if slightly visually impaired. I also think it looks good with the picons but each to their own :peace: It's easy enough to remove though - just press GREEN (plugins menu) then RED (remove) and navigate down to system plugins, press OK and move down to extnumberzap and press OK again then exit out - a reboot maybe necessary.

Thanks, your right the old one was a bit quick, i shall just leave as is, noticed no picon appeared on it though. Last question for now, was it ok to leave my existing swap file on my usb stick as I didn't format it?

noticed no picon appeared on it though. Last question for now, was it ok to leave my existing swap file on my usb stick as I didn't format it?

It will if you've downloaded and installed the seperate download that has picons in and copied to usb as per the instructions lol

You'll need to recreate the swap file so the box knows how to find it...

Back