mtpockets OpenATV4.2 for Zgemma Star 2S 20150403

cheers mate, have updated download to include..... at some point I might get around to getting rid of those autotimer events too! :whistling:

Lol I did same last week. 20 episodes of wheeler dealers for the two people that got before the timers expired lol

Hi, what the load time like with this image?

Do you mean boot time to channel viewing from completely switched off? Absolutely ages (around a couple of minutes) the same as on all builds on these boxes, they're designed to be left powered on. Time to resume from standby or deep standby.... just seconds. If you switch off using the rear power switch you won't get the updates to the programme guide and in deep standby the box uses minimal power.

Great, thanks for reply just what i needed to know. Im still tied between using yours or sucmnsee vix image, gonna have to try them both i think

Great, thanks for reply just what i needed to know. Im still tied between using yours or sucmnsee vix image, gonna have to try them both i think

Sucmnsee's modded Vix is a great image just be careful not to do any online updates, like mine it's all nicely set up for you. Sucmnsee releases the new versions quickly so there shouldn't be any need to update as long as you don't mind reflashing the box when you want to update. Members of the Vix team have the view that because the manufacturer of the Zgemma Star boxes used to make clone boxes they must be a clone hence why OTA updates not possible :whacko:

The OpenATV team recognise the box as original and support the box so over the air updates are safe, I don't add quite as much of the online content as Sucmnsee but there's still a chunk to keep you going! Like you say try them both and see how you get on, flashing only takes 5-10mins anyway once you have the hang of it.

If you're tempted to try back up images from elsewhere make sure they are based on images downloaded from the manufacturer site (zgemma.tv) I can confirm both Sucmnsee's and my images were taken from there before being tweaked.

Thanks for the info, box came today so will be playing around with it tomorrow and if i need any info will come back to ask.

You say that you take your images from zgemma.tv and make tweaks to them. Can I ask what tweaks or additions you add onto the base image. Thanks

mt thank you for not taking the pee on my last vix thread.............. was waiting to get ripped appart for hitting the flash file size limit!! lol lol

ps from what i can see its 125,000,000 bytes. what you think?

You say that you take your images from zgemma.tv and make tweaks to them. Can I ask what tweaks or additions you add onto the base image. Thanks

Of course no problem! What I've added is mainly covered in the section headed Added to the raw build on the first post in this thread, apart from what's mentioned there it's things like...

Adding bits for additional online content to the kodi direct and tsmedia plugins, removing unused languages, put settings into xmlimporter so the epg refreshes automatically, changing save locations for everything to USB instead of internal memory. Fixing the skin so it works properly in OpenATV, setting the number of lines displayed so the EPG looks right etc. The biggest job was to fix the full remote in Openwebif (the exact copy of the remote control but displayed in the web browser when viewing your box from a PC) this took a while to do but I've fed this fix up to github so all new images for this box will be getting this - including all of the ones on zgemma.tv

All the backup does is the donkey work for you so you don't have to..... if you like to experiment and want to create an image from scratch go for it if you're reasonably technically minded and don't mind spending time getting it right (basic linux knowledge helps but isn't essential). Alternatively take my image and as it's based on a supported build play with that - if you break it just reflash.

Enjoy tinkering!:)

---------- Post Merged at 11:01 PM ----------

mt thank you for not taking the pee on my last vix thread.............. was waiting to get ripped appart for hitting the flash file size limit!!

ps from what i can see its 125,000,000 bytes. what you think?

Mate how could I possibly???? You do a sterling job and all I've learnt I've learnt from you pal...

Now maybe you've learnt from me re the 125,000,000 byte limit roflmao

I did see some posts on the airsat zgemma forum where you mentioned a tool that was in the patch-plugins bit but it got removed as it was added to OpenPLI - was this something that overcame the limit and do you by any chance still have a copy or know what it was called? I know it was ages ago mate.......

Just a thought... maybe next time I'll try a base image to flash and a separate backup to restore from within the base build of all the settings/plugins etc this will probably avoid the limit, ok it's another step for users but would allow much bigger builds.....

Last edited:
Hi, how does the timeshift, live pause work as cant seem to get it to work on this image for some reason

Hi, all seems to be ok here (my box is using this image at the moment). A few things to check.....

Have you followed the instructions on the downloads page in terms of initialising the USB stick and converting to EXT4?
Have you left your USB drive plugged in at the back of the box? It needs to stay in there permanently.
If after this it's still not working check the settings under menu, setup, system, extended system, timeshift settings - they were set correctly before I made the backup but just in case somehow they got changed.

All setup, gotta say guides on this site are great, mtpockets great image, zgemma great little box, even the mrs is impressed haha

All setup, gotta say guides on this site are great, mtpockets great image, zgemma great little box, even the mrs is impressed haha
How did you fix the issue of no timeshift as I'm having the same problem after flashing this image and following instructions to convert my usb to ext4?

Another issue I have is when the portal button is pressed on the remote a message appears on screen saying an update is avaliable for the MediaPortal plugin do I want to download and install now, selecting yes causes the box to crash and restart.

Any ideas please?

I just started again with adding drive and initialising it following the guide and then worked fine no problems as checked settings for timeshift and all were ok so if your settings ok must be your USB or HDD

Seems to be the 64GB USB flash drive I'm using as tried another and it worked, I tried a smaller 16GB and it worked immediately, I've also tried using my NAS for recording and Timeshift and that appears to be ok.

In regards to the other issue I had with the MediaPortal plugin that seems ok now so I'm guessing the USB was to blame for that as well.

Thanks for the reply tho Boogie1263

MediaPortal is still crashing when trying to update.

At what stage does it crash? This update to MediaPortal has been released since I did the build. Press the portal button on the remote and update as long as you're box is connected to the internet it will download and install the new version, restart the GUI when prompted and all ok.... Did you do anything different? It's just installed fine on mine.

Back