Setting up a OpenBox V8S HD for the first time

Why do you keep repeating the same old process Mr Garyth----we installed the network server to use for channel lists and firmware upgrades---this eliminates the use of usb keys which can and do brick/damage boxes.

Mr Schdescha----go to network settings in menu then underneath you will see upgrade by network--click on it----now click on connect to server and when screen opens you will see the choice of files available. You can upgrade your firmware to latest plus obtain latest channel list.
Reaper.

Reaper, the reason why I continually repeat this process is because to date, I have never bricked a box using a usb, nor have any the people who have then had to update after me. Whilst I appreciate your knowledge on these boxes may well be vastly superior to mines, I will continue to use this method. Anyone wishing to do it via network, can do so. I'm sure it's fine to have the best of both
garyth

---------- Post Merged at 06:44 PM ----------

Why do you keep repeating the same old process Mr Garyth----we installed the network server to use for channel lists and firmware upgrades---this eliminates the use of usb keys which can and do brick/damage boxes.

Mr Schdescha----go to network settings in menu then underneath you will see upgrade by network--click on it----now click on connect to server and when screen opens you will see the choice of files available. You can upgrade your firmware to latest plus obtain latest channel list.
Reaper.

Reaper forgot to add that most box owners do not have the latest firmware on their boxes and tbh have no interest in attempting to start trying to upgrade when they generally aren't that techy if you get my drift. Sorry meant to add that to my last post!

No problem m8 but we have to get people to research on forum instead of just popping in--asking a question--quick answer from you or someone else and we lose them back to their shells. So yes I agree with what you have said but we have to keep their interest up by pointing out that the answer is onsite and they have to do some research instead of relying on your good self or me or any other.
Cheers.
Reaper.

No problem m8 but we have to get people to research on forum instead of just popping in--asking a question--quick answer from you or someone else and we lose them back to their shells. So yes I agree with what you have said but we have to keep their interest up by pointing out that the answer is onsite and they have to do some research instead of relying on your good self or me or any other.
Cheers.
Reaper.

Reaper, absolutely agree with the above. The general problem is unfortunately lots of folk just want them to stop paying full price tbh.
And yes once purchased you really need to take them by the hand as they just think the box will be problem free.
Fantastic add on right enough for users who ain't scared to use the functions of their remote controls.
Gary

I can see both sides of the debate.
I have always updated by USB and have never managed to brick a box yet (@ 20 boxes)
I have just started using the internet update and have posted a blog on problems encountered.
Yoijatech need to update list as soon as changes occur otherwise it's a fruitless modification ?
Makes life easier for me if updates can be done via internet as most of my owners can't load a USB !
But if they update via internet and the list isn't up to date then the phone calls start !!...lol

I can see both sides of the debate.
I have always updated by USB and have never managed to brick a box yet (@ 20 boxes)
I have just started using the internet update and have posted a blog on problems encountered.
Yoijatech need to update list as soon as changes occur otherwise it's a fruitless modification ?
Makes life easier for me if updates can be done via internet as most of my owners can't load a USB !
But if they update via internet and the list isn't up to date then the phone calls start !!...lol

Oh yes, the dreaded phone calls, emails and texts, I feel your pain!

All the guides and info needed can be found in the Openbox section----a little light reading will get you up and running.
Reaper.

CHANNEL LIST

Now check for channel list by pressing FAV on remote--if a favourite list appears then great, if not then download one to your pc from AJSat or CWaites [both available here on forum] then FORMAT32 a USB key and add the unzipped tp_prog.dbs file to the key. Insert the key into rear USB port of box.

Now____to add the list to box. Press Menu on remote, and highlight ''TOOLS''

Select 'Upgrade by USB'
In new window, use arrow keys to change top line to 'MISC FILES'
Move down to 'SELECT AND UPGRADE'
A new window opens, select 'TP_PROG.dbs' press green button to place a tick by it and then press yellow button to upgrade
: There should now be a completed channel list on your box separated into categories eg 'movies', 'sports' entertainment etc etc
And now you can go to the pub in peace while she watches Eastenders or some womanly progs.
Enjoy your beer.
Reaper.

Reaper.

hey reaper,
do i need to enter any settings to avail of the network function? and if so where do i get them?
thanks

Can anyone tell me if this box will receive 27.5w? Currently use a Technomate 5402HD but wondered if this box would work?

Reaper.

hey reaper,
do i need to enter any settings to avail of the network function? and if so where do i get them?
thanks

If you have latest firmware installed then go to network settings and click on network upgrade [explained above your post]
Reaper.

Back