Vm signal issues

Move this inside the house and connect everything inside, just one cable should connect outside
ea2207d6a7590d7a9e3f6d014a17d7bf.jpg

Is it definitely a HDU or just powering the RFoG node? ... I'm not clued up at all with these new installs. I'd just fit the 3 way splitter save drilling more holes and see how it is then go from there.

I cannot see anything inside that brown box which indicates it's a HDU and it doesn't look like a HDU.

Not sure why you're all complicating the situation.

All he simply needs to do is:
1. Remove the splitter
2. Use a coupler to join the two cables in the brown box together.

3. Use a hdu400 inside the house to split the main cable to his v6 broadband and zgemma.

That's it.

Fyi unused ports on a unpowered splitter do cause signal degradation.

1. Remove the splitter

3. Use a hdu400 inside the house to split the main cable to his v6 broadband and zgemma.

That's it.

Perfect this is what I was going to try but was worried that disconnecting the external splitter would cause an issue. Thanks for clearing that up Simba

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

1. Remove the splitter

That's it.

We all don't have a mate who works for VM who we can ask ;)

So... tell me more about this new type of install and what's involved :)

OK so an update. I did sort of what simba said (except i dont have an hdu 400 yet). So I used a coupler to join the two cables outside removing the four way splitter. I brought the four way splitter inside the house and connected it to the incoming cable. Then off this I ran my cable for v6 box, router and my enigma2 box. I am now receiving all channels. I am still getting slight glitching on a few channels mainly sky sports football HD. constant picture breakup but it is just about watchable. Levels are below:

upload_2017-8-31_20-12-47.png

upload_2017-8-31_20-13-10.png

So i tried removing the four way splitter and used 2 dual splitters. This seems to be working at present with no glitching i have my enigma2 box plugged into the first splitter then the second splitter has the v6 box and the router. Getting speeds of 110mb (have the 100mb package) Here are the other levels with the 2 x dual splitters do they look ok?:

upload_2017-8-31_20-30-36.png

upload_2017-8-31_20-31-16.png

What are all your thoughts? Sorry for long winded post

Attachments

• upload_2017-8-31_20-10-59.png
    upload_2017-8-31_20-10-59.png
    33.8 KB · Views: 33
Seems ok - thought you had a Technetix 3 way though? ... better using this 1 splitter for 3 devices instead of attaching 2 separate splitters to same wire.

Seems ok - thought you had a Technetix 3 way though? ... better using this 1 splitter for 3 devices instead of attaching 2 separate splitters to same wire.
I know mate i will when it arrives it only got dispatched today unfortunately. This workaround will do in the mean time though.

Mate said engineer told him he gets paid by the job and not the hour and to ring him if there is any problems. Makes me wonder if he fitted the four way splitter, attenuator and dual splitter to weaken the signal for another call out fee haha :grin:

Just thinking has the four way splitter potentially been put in if they want to piggyback the other houses that are attached (3 in total) ? If VM come out and try to connect up another house to the box at this property what are your rights in terms of saying no to them using this connection?

That's never going to happen, each house would have it's own cable coming from the street, down the garden and to a box on the wall like yours.
I can only say that the reason they put a four way splitter in your brown box was that the fitter hadn't picked up a normal 2 way and he couldn't be arsed walking all the way back to the van to get one.

I think it's a standard piece of equipment for that type of install... if you wanted multi-room at any point in the future, they would simply run a wire around the external wall - connect 1 end to a spare port in the 4 way splitter then the other end into the other room.

That's never going to happen, each house would have it's own cable coming from the street, down the garden and to a box on the wall like yours.
I can only say that the reason they put a four way splitter in your brown box was that the fitter hadn't picked up a normal 2 way and he couldn't be arsed walking all the way back to the van to get one.
I have heard of this happening before it's on the vm support forums. They'll be in for a shock of they try this anyway as their splitters gone lol. Might padlock my box somehow just incase.

I think it's a standard piece of equipment for that type of install... if you wanted multi-room at any point in the future, they would simply run a wire around the external wall - connect 1 end to a spare port in the 4 way splitter then the other end into the other room.
But why not just put the 4 way splitter inside the house and thus remove the need for another dual splitter. Or run two cables in instead of one and splitting it. That's what got me thinking must be outside for that reason...so they can tamper with it if needs be without me needing to know.

Because the spitter outside is for if you decide you want multi-room in the future and if it's inside, they can't easily run cables from one room to another... they will bring the cable into the room from an external wall usually then fit a box / isolator on the internal wall then a cable from this to your device(s) and split the feed from there if required with the necessary splitter (2 way, 3 way etc.)

Back