Weak Signal on some HD Channels

Yes then follow the on screen instructions - you will need your area id for the set up process so have that info ready :)

The Zgamma got delivered, plugged in and it has avtv 6 on it. Added net Id to tuner config and selected virgin uk pure and did automatic scan and it doesn’t even find the channels in the 700mhz range it only pulls in around 470 channels. Changed it to virgin uk brute force and it only finds 23 channels. Changed it to telewest and it pulls in 560 but still none of the channels in the 700mhz range :-(

So looks like it’s the feed and not the tuner as it least the usb tuner finds the channels.

Have you tried not changing anything apart from NET ID in tuner config - I always leave it set to CableBruteforce step... and always found channels.

I don't scan via the service searching / auto/manual scan, even though I put my net id in there, I then go straight to ABM, set provider in there to V*rgin UK and choose my area then scan.

Yes the hdu is still all plugged in and I have the spare put blanked off. Not end of the world will just have to use SD channels instead

Give it a go without the HDU - straight from the wall plate to the zgemma... can't do any harm.

I’ve give up now mate and packed it all away. Thanks for all your help, SD is better than nothing and that’s all Ive had the past couple of seasons. Sky broandband is up in November so will look into virgin broadband then and hopefully that will boost the signal.

Zgemma has gone back but this is still bugging the hell out of me, I get 17% signal on sky sports football HD and if could increase this by another 10% it should be watchable.

Can you just look at my setup one last time and tell me if there is anything incorrect

Cable from street into a F to F adapter then cable into house > Tris 1002L Isolator (NEW) > HDU 200 net connection > power from plug into PSU connection on HDU and then cable from "Out 1 lifeline" to tuner, out 2 is blanked off.

The cable from HDU to tuner is a WF100 cable (ordered here http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/VIRGIN-ME...X-CT100-/230888531646?ssPageName=STRK:MESE:IT ), do you think it is worth ordering a WF100 cable for between the isolator and the HDU?

The only other thing i thought of doing was to order a 10m cable and run it directly from the brown box outside through the window to the tuner to see if that made any difference as this would rule out the cable from the brown box.

Any other suggestions/ideas?

Attachments

• s-l1600.jpg
    s-l1600.jpg
    363.9 KB · Views: 48
yes its worth ordering a wf100 cable from the isolator to HDU also. All your cables should be of this quality or the ones virmin use which is Amphenol cable. I'm guessing its not a big distance from isolator to tuner or HDU.?

As a test only you could go straight from the brown box to your E2 box and miss out the isolator, at least you will have process of elimination to try and find the fault.

You could also as a test put the hdu in the brown box.

Might be an issue with the cable coming from the cab in the street to your house. It has been known for the incoming coax (from the cab on the street to a customers address) to deteriorate with age. If some channels are coming through ok without any issues and your signal level is ok then that could explain it. The cable may no longer be stable when used at higher frequencies. The way to tell if this is the case is to tune into a channel that is in the higher frequency range. If the picture is stable then its most likely a signal quality issue that can be cured with use of a signal booster. If the picture is pixelating or jumpy. This could point towards the cable being no good and a re-pull from the cabinet may be required. If you have a neighbour with a VM connection. Try the box at theirs first.

The above is my fear as this describes the issue I'm having - perfect on low frequency channels but the signal degrades as the frequency gets higher.

the isolator is to protect against say lightning, thunder etc it should still be used. The isolator doesn't go in the brown box, only the white box ??

I was suggesting you put / connect the HDU in the brown box to test as that's what I did. got the extension cable out to power it.

Yep the isolator is in the white box, was just checking.

I'll give it a go and report back when the new cables have arrived

cheers

Sorry if these seems a daft question but how tight should your f connectors be, I've just read an article that suggests hand tight and then another quarter turn with either a proper torque wrench or pliers.

I'm just thinking back to when I've been changing cables etc. and I only tightened them with my hands, could it be something as simple as this causing my headache.......

What do you guys suggest for tightening the f connections?

Do i really need something like this?
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Mercury-1...252080?hash=item1eaf21e170:g:LAUAAOxyzHxRRzBg
https://www.amazon.co.uk/SAC-Electr...500635370&sr=8-2&keywords=f+connector+spanner

Last edited:
Back