Is zgemma loosing its grip?

• YES

Votes: 13 46.4%
  • NO

Votes: 15 53.6%

• Total voters

Blackwidow

TK Veteran
Are there signs on the forum of the zgemma range loosing its grip as the king of the "low cost" boxes lol

The Edision is a real contender for a good, stable low cost box and with the 2 year warranty and official Vix support but the zgemma has the dedicated section huge support and Wooshman and Sucmnsee's images seem to be the flash of choice making the setup even easier for the "newbie" or "techno-idiot".

With the Edision having the same hardware as the zgemma but a few more features like built in Wi-Fi the small price difference of around £15 to £25 doesn't price the Edision too high to make it over priced. And with the Edision offering sly, cable and combo boxes all for £99 or less do you think the zgemmas have increased in price too much? Do you find the zgemmas still a rocking box that is worth every penny? Can you see the zgemma range expanding, becoming more powerful boxes for low prices and making them king of low cost boxes again soon?

What do you all think? Post your thoughts.....

P.S Please don't take this question too serious, its only a general though I wanted to ask not a reason to argue or "attack" on the different boxes. Remember we are all friends here :)

Last edited:
I think its horses for courses,
what swayed me to the edision [and I had seriously considered the zgemma] was the official image and auto updates over the net,
meaning that if I am working away the missus doesnt even know anything has changed with channels etc,
that was the issue with my old skybox f5
she would often lose channels and if I was away had no idea what to do,
if you are willing, and able, to manually update the channels [which, tbh, is only a 5minute job] then maybe the zgemma is for you,

Bloody hell, hear we go lol

Ok here is my two penneth.

The manufacturers of Zgemma brought out Cloud Ibox, they brought out 3 versions in a short space of time.

They are no longer supported.

How many models have Zgemma brought out and over how long ?

They could be the next Starview in disguise. Any Zgemma owners know about Starview ? ROFL

Say they drop support for the Zgemma and bring out a box under a new brand name will you be so quick to buy ?

How many Cloud Ibox owners have Zgemmas lol

Don't say you weren't warned lol

I'm not even going to get in to the whole modded Vix image / OpenATV thing lol

Too many skeletons in the closet for me.

Back to punters, I can understand why they became so popular, basically the sky look of the menus and the price.

The cheapest officially Vix supported single tuner box was approx £40 more, a twin tuner was about £60-70 more than a Zgemma so peolpe took the next cheapest option, a bit like
an upgrade on a skybox or openbox but not too big of a price jump.

Now the gap has closed. A single tuner official box (sat or cable) is approx the same price as the H2 versions
So if you are not interested in recording I would go that way.

A twin tuner like the Edision now only has about £15 difference in the price.

Personally I would pay the extra, they are generally quicker and better built, as mentioned above 2yr warranty and support with a good and proven track record.

Last edited:
I would always choose something that is officially supported ,for the sake of £15 it is a no brainer.

I think you've all missed the point.... WOS and other existing sat retailers have been forced into producing something to compete as they lost so much of the market share. I'm quite happy with my Zgemmas they've been doing just fine and no problems at all. The Edison is no faster than the Zgemma H3 and I don't care for ViX and don't need wi-fi so the only advantage to me would be the built in bluetooth.... oh and of course the even more shite remote the Edison comes with.

Would I buy the Edison as my next box? probably not

Zgemma star lc= 1x cable
Zgemma star H1 = 1x cable, 1x sat
Zgemma star H2 = 1x cable/terrestrial, 1x sat
Zgemma star S = 1x sat
Zgemma star 2S = 2x sat
Zgemma H.S = Dual-Core, 1x sat
Zgemma H.2S = Dual-Core, 2x sat
Zgemma H.2H = Dual-Core, 1x cable/terrestrial, 1x sat

H3 out now ? lol

How much are they ?

You could also look at it that Zgemma are playing catch up as their latest box
is only as good as the cheapest official Vix box

Minus the bluetooth and Wifi lol

Last edited:
Built in wifi is a good option if you supply and fit as no need for the extra cost of home plugs or wi fi dongles ect,i havent tried the edison myself but a 2 year warranty and oline update is good to have,with all the support on the forum for zgemma range it is always going to be the choice for newbies,how good is the edison using the built in wifi option

Zgemmas only seem popular on here as most other sat forums don't entertain them due to the old ibox arguments. They were pretty much forced to bottom out their prices to attract people. They have done that job. Stabilsed their reputation. And made the market a bit more competitive forcing down the prices of other over priced competing boxes. Zgemmas prices were always going to creep up. Other boxes prices were always going to come down a little.

Just buy a box that suits your needs. It doesn't matter whether its a zgemma, vu, Edison, xtrend. openbox, it doesn't matter if it has vix, atv, pli or any other image on it.
At the end of the day all the enigma2 boxes do exactly the same thing its how you use it what influences your box choice.

I didn't need a large hard drive as I don't record a lot.

I didn't need a jazzy front led display or it looking really expensive as the box is tucked away.

I didn't need it to be ultra responsive as I am not a big tv addict and do very little zapping.

I don't have kids, so it doesn't have to be idiot friendly.

I wanted the opportunity to skin it and faff with it (basically any enigma2 box).

I keep umming and arring about possible buying a faster more expensive box. Then I think... why. My little zgemma 2s does everything I want it to. It's bareboned so is fast and doesn't struggle at all.

This philosophy is what everyone should be doing when buying a new satellite box. Do your research and a buy a box that suits your personal needs and budget....

If you think your box is a little slow. Buy a faster one.
If you want to use Vix, buy a supported box instead of trying to struggle with a hacked image for the zgemma.

If you want a top end box that costs £200, buy a top end box and sit it next to your over priced apple iPhone and mac. Just to pretend your uber trendy. ;)

Each to their own....

Its like buying a bottom of the market new car. it does the job, but when you have had top end cars you realise how crap the cheap ones really are.

same with sat boxes.

Back