Zgemma v's Edision OS Mini

Is zgemma loosing its grip?

• YES

Votes: 13 46.4%
  • NO

Votes: 15 53.6%

• Total voters
Hi mate I've just got a h2h box any tips on it regarding the cable tuner. I only use for cable TV. I've seen a lot of comments about the box having poor turners on the cable side. Cheers

Why did you buy an H2H mate if you only needed a cable box?

You've paid extra for a satellite tuner that you don't need.

Don't worry about the tuner I'm sure it will be fine, I wouldn't exactly call the tuners weak they're just not quite as sensitive as the previous models.

Pure coincidence but I have BeakyFord's Edision mini os sat / cable box with me for a week, it said that the pron channels had become to much for it and it wanted to know how the other half lived... so I have got hold of it and flashed the living shite out of it. That will teach it for knocking pron !

Anyway, on a serious note, and it wasn't planned to be honest, I did a quick comparison write up with this thread in mind.

Before you jump on me Bees for being a Zbummer lover and cactikid tries to plug a self powered drive into me you might be surprised at my findings. I have been fair as I have nothing to gain or lose by being honest.

It is in another thread as that was where I typed it: http://www.techkings.org/general-sa...wn-edison-os-mini-sat-cable-2.html#post545100

I see you preferred the Zgemma on looks and the remote, I couldn't see much difference to
tell you the truth but I did think the Edision was generally quicker.

Got a bit lost with the build info.

As the Edision box is officially supported by Vix and most people will use that image.

Did you compare the Zgemma using basically the same modded Vix image ?

That's how I compared both boxes, the Zgemma had a Lincsat build on it.

To me it generally seemed slower through the menus and EPG.

It read to me as if you where comparing them with an OpenATV based image or
have I misunderstood ?

Edision are still actively supporting their box with driver updates, can the same he said for Air Digital about the Zgemma?

Sent from my A0001 using Tapatalk

There are many technical questions in the shadows still to be asked about both the Zgemma & Edision some have been lightly touched upon by members but as yet nothing concrete has been posted, with the cheaper end of electrical products it has long been known that build quality isnt the best with poor soldering & caps failing as a result to name but a few of the problems. So far none of the problems associated with cheap build quality have arisen yet, same for the suspected weak cable tuner we keep hearing about on the Zgemma but none have yet proven to actually show any issues.

The 1st generation zgemma boxes or H1's as they should be called have been around for a while, they are the cheapest of all twin tuners & zgemmas 1st box on the market I would have thought these to have been a good indicator if build quality was still an issue but they plod along regardless of how many times you flash the living daylights out of them or try to kill them they hardly ever fail to the point they can not be recovered (kiddac, woosh, beni to name only a few have more than proven this through endless testing) so this makes me think that although the more tech minded may well be correct in pointing out possible issues the reality appears to confirm that these possibly problems are just that....possible rather then expected or predicted.

Edision are still actively supporting their box with driver updates, can the same he said for Air Digital about the Zgemma?

A valid point to make but as drivers & software change often & support levels vary between manufacturers its not uncommon to be using old/older drivers &/or software, as long as your box is working I do not see this as being much of an issues as lets face it the vast majority of people just want there boxes to work!

These are only my own personal findings from my limited experience but to me I see no need or reason to buy a much more expensive box when these little boxes punch way above there weight despite there cheapness! Zgemma or Edision...its a very close call imo... I have both & have changed my mind a number of times in recent months with the only real solid conclusion I have been able to make is that zgemmas should be running ATV & the Edision either but Id say VIX runs smoother on the Edision even though I don't care for VIX myself!

Last edited:
I see you preferred the Zgemma on looks and the remote, I couldn't see much difference to
tell you the truth but I did think the Edision was generally quicker.

Got a bit lost with the build info.

As the Edision box is officially supported by Vix and most people will use that image.

Did you compare the Zgemma using basically the same modded Vix image ?

That's how I compared both boxes, the Zgemma had a Lincsat build on it.

To me it generally seemed slower through the menus and EPG.

It read to me as if you where comparing them with an OpenATV based image or
have I misunderstood ?

So many questions lol

The look of the zgemma is much nicer than the edison and although the edision remote is multi functional, it it a bit fiddly due to small buttons and sometimes sticky.

I didn't test using a vix image as I don't use vix, it would be like me testing two laptops with Mac OS when I never use it - not an exact comparison I know but you know what I mean.

Although it was not a direct comparison both boxes started off with the latest OpenATV nightly build and that was built upon. The Edision seemed slightly faster through the build process and may have still had the edge when all plugins were installed.

As I said it was pure luck that I had the Edision and it was never meant to be a comparison review. Looks and remote usage was easy and the Zgemma won, where as the speed comparison was not side by side as my Zgemma is already pre-built. I got the Edision to the same build point.

Yeah thought it was OpenATV based but wasn't too sure. If I had the Zgemma
I would be inclined to run it with an image that is officially supported.

What I was getting at is lots of people still use the modded Vix image on Zgemma
so you don't get the online update facility, if you also stop getting the modded image released then
all these builds for Vix would stop.

Without a "base" modded Vix image there is nothing to hang your skins, pekons, cams, EPG's etc on to.

As you pay extra for boxes with official Vix support, it would be a bit mad to run other images
when you have paid the extra.

So that's why I wanted to see how you thought both compared using a Vix based image
one box with official support, the other without.

I would not say Zgemma is losing it's grip, due to the fact it is still such a popular box and to the 'layman' is most likely the go to Enigma2 box on price, setup tutorial support and internet presence. Unless there is a major push on Edision OS Mini, the likes of eBay are still going to be flooded with Zgemma boxes with any Linux/Enigma2 search.

For those of us like myself that are new to Enigma2 boxes that do some research I do feel that Edision offer better value now, at least before Brexit and the exchange rate collapsing in my case.

I personally bought a Edision OS Mini Sat/cable box for around £95 delivered from freetv.ie using a 5% discount code. That is just £15 more than the best price on the same Zgemma H2H with the added advantages of official Openvix support and inbuilt wifi...by the time I had bought and had the inconvenience of using up one of the free USB ports on the Zgemma the price difference would have been even less.

I would however agree as stated in this thread about the build of the Edision...I have never owned or physically seen or used a Zgemma box to do a comparison but would have to say that (I have not removed warranty seal to look inside) from the outside appearance of the Edision it is pretty cheap......basic but functional

Of interest, the actual outer casing of the OS Mini is identical to several OEM Linux/android boxes. Of further interest the rather sluggish remote control supplied with the OS Mini is identical to the Spiderbox HD 7000/9000.

From various years spent on various satellite forums it is clear to me that there very much is a monopoly going on between sat box manufacturers, suppliers and in the case of open source Linux based boxes software sponsoring for 'official' support, as mentioned in the next paragraph.

Interestingly the front of the Edision box mentions OpenATV, with no mention of OpenVix yet there is much rubbishing the Zgemma on WoS forums for not officially having support for OpenVix, yet it officially supports OpenATV which is advertised on the front of the Edision box for recommendation.....who are OpenVix sponsors.....WoS....guess what WoS do not sell......Zgemma boxes....guess what WoS do sell....Edision boxes.

Coming from a dated Spiderbox freshly to Linux going with Openvix and not having experimented with other OS's I cannot compare as yet the virtues of OpenVix over the likes of OpenATV which is 'officially' supported on Zgemma boxes, and I may have been just as happy utilising OpenATV on a Zgemma. Aside from opening up the cases and examining the chipsets, mainboard design and soldering quality I very much doubt there to be any difference in quality, and certainly from an exterior viewpoint the aforementioned housing of the Edision is utilised in differing Chinese OEM satellite receivers, and the remote is terribly sluggish.

So I summise that the popularity of the Zgemma is unlikely to wane currently due to cost, eBay sellers, word of mouth and for those that like to blindly follow tutorials in setting up a box. The various forum shops/sponsors/manufacturers will continue their own biases and monopolies as usual, and in the world of Linux based receivers that is where the money is.

Well here it is you Zgemma lovers

H5.jpg

The new Zgemma H5, add it to the list, the long list !!! LOL

OK if you have cable. SHould be able to to run 4k though due to the h.265 codec. Don't hold me to that though.

Seen posts about weak cable tuner on H2H, do you think this release has anything to do with that lol

I'm trying to decide between a Zgemma h2s and the Edision OS Mini. I think I'm right in saying that the Zgemma doesn't have HbbTV, but does anyone provide an HbbTV service on an Enigma 2 box?

all the vu boxes state hbb but no service to use lol,like that for a number of years,may work in other countries?

Cheers catcikid xxxx

So there's a price diff, but for that you get useless hbbtv and useless bluetooth; in my case I have a homeplug and hub so wifi is a slower choice. The only benefits for me are 2 yr warranty and official OpenVix (Zgemma has patched OpenVix as well as official (?) OpenATV).

Will someone kindly tell me what to think? :)

The edision has built in wifi which works very well,if you like vix go with edision with a 2 year warranty,If price is an issue go with zgemma and use the forum sponsor to get your box,use the wooshman build to give you supported firmware and all the extras that go with it as in a superb iptv player for steaming movies/sports/ect,its very much like setup like kodi and my one customers loves that side to the box,woosh and beni are constantly updating things on the box so its always right up to date,there is the easy option of adding your line with a customized plugin designed as built by the wooshman,next thing he will having the box cook the dinner for you,you dont get anything like that type of support with vix and i am a vix fan,Got a couple of guys on the forum that dont seem to like zgemma for some reason LOL

Last edited:
The edision has built in wifi which works very well,if you like vix go with edision with a 2 year warranty,If price is an issue go with zgemma and use the forum sponsor to get your box,use the wooshman build to give you supported firmware and all the extras that go with it as in a superb iptv player for steaming movies/sports/ect,its very much like setup like kodi and my one customers loves that side to the box,woosh and beni are constantly updating things on the box so its always right up to date,there is the easy option of adding your line with a customized plugin designed as built by the wooshman,next thing he will having the box cook the dinner for you,you dont get anything like that type of support with vix and i am a vix fan,Got a couple of guys on the forum that dont seem to like zgemma for some reason LOL

If you buy it from sponsored link you end up paying the same if not more then the Edision box for some reason that place is very expensive compared to other sellers which is why I have never recommended it to people.

But I agree on your other points.

Back