Zgemma v's Edision OS Mini

Is zgemma loosing its grip?

• YES

Votes: 13 46.4%
  • NO

Votes: 15 53.6%

• Total voters
Not sure I understand this !!?!?!?!?! Wasnt he simply pointing out that there was a store that offered a warranty ???

Zgemma rules :guns:

---------- Post Merged at 06:07 PM ----------

Not sure I understand this !!?!?!?!?! Wasnt he simply pointing out that there was a store that offered a warranty ???

Yes but they don't sell zgemmas due to vix not supporting it. I'm not sure if kiddac was referring to the forum

its like buying a bottom of the market new car. it does the job, but when you have had top end cars you realise how crap the cheap ones really are.

same with sat boxes.

I agree, it's not worth beating around the bush with this, you get what you pay for with sat and cable boxes, it's as simple as that.
The more expensive boxes are always going to perform better, be built better and have more bells and whistles than the cheaper boxes.

So in my opinion it's worth setting a maximum budget you are willing to spend and finding a box that fits it.

Just to add, Vix officially supports a whole range of boxes, all with different specs, ranging from about £80 - 300.

Although they have different specs they all set up in the same way so there is no need for separate sections for each model.

Unlike the Zgemma range, that's probably why there isn't hundreds of repeat posts on the same / similar issues.

Keeps the fan club busy though LOL

WOS sat offer a 2 year gaurntee do you get this with zgemma?

I think the point is perfectly obvious, you get a 2yr warranty with an officially supported box and you don't with Zgemma.

Is there any warranty ? Especially if you buy off Ebay

Will people be moaning in 12 months time if capacitors start to pop like they did with the Cloud Ibox ROFL

Last edited:
most of my original boxes last over 5 years lol

I bought a clone DM800SE as soon as they became available way back in 1944, the thing has been rock solid.

I'm sick of the sight of the fecking thing so I've just ordered an Edision OS Mini. :)

Last edited:
I agree, it's not worth beating around the bush with this, you get what you pay for with sat and cable boxes, it's as simple as that.
The more expensive boxes are always going to perform better, be built better and have more bells and whistles than the cheaper boxes.

So in my opinion it's worth setting a maximum budget you are willing to spend and finding a box that fits it.

Just to add, Vix officially supports a whole range of boxes, all with different specs, ranging from about £80 - 300

Although they have different specs they all set up in the same way so there is no need for separate sections for each model.

Unlike the Zgemma range, that's probably why there isn't hundreds of repeat posts on the same / similar issues.

Keeps the fan club busy though LOL

WOS sat offer a 2 year gaurntee do you get this with zgemma?

I think the point is perfectly obvious, you get a 2yr warranty with an officially supported box and you don't with Zgemma.

Is there any warranty ? Especially if you buy off Ebay

And at the top of that range is this thing of beauty !!!!!

GiGaBlue HD QUAD+ PLUS (WHITE) Linux Enigma 2 HD PVR Satellite Receiver 2x DVB-S/S2 + 2x Plug & Play Tuner Slots

:wow:

Who cares about WOS - this is techkings.
The point is if you buy a box from WOS and it goes wrong you send it back and get a replacement. with the zgemma the dealer will say it is a manufactures warranty it will cost more than the box is worth if you get a problem and have to send it back.

For me, an officially supported box, updates from the box, with 2 year warranty, plus wi-fi and bluetooth that's why I bought the Edision and not a zgemma, and I'm very happy with it.

with the zgemma the dealer will say it is a manufactures warranty it will cost more than the box is worth if you get a problem and have to send it back.

Buy a box from zgemma.co.uk and if they cannot get it fixed via support (as problems are more user error than hardware) they will replace the box under the warranty as any good supplier should. As for those on fleabay I cannot comment.

Officially supported..... this term gets said a lot and doesn't really mean much in my opinion.

Would you buy a windows 10 PC, then do stuff to it so it will run Mac OS? Maybe as it would be so much cheaper and at the end of the day most macs now are intel processors so no reason why not... but if the OS starts to run badly would you phone Apple and ask for support? No, of course not. If you want support from Apple, buy apple. If you want support from vix, buy a box designed to run vix. I don't know the in's and out's of this so I hope my example is somewhere near close. Personally I wouldn't buy a box and then put some "work around" stuff on it. I would use what the box is happy to run as standard.

How a poll on "Zgemma vs Edison mini" turned yet again into an officially support vix debate is beyond me. Zgemma's are not for Vix... or something like that.

Again, in my opinion, Zgemma could start to be out sold by Edison mini's due to the low prices. I have an Edison mini sat here to play with so it will be interesting to see the difference in speed, if any.

If warranty is what you want as an extra then the Edison leads the way with a 2yr vs Zgemma 1yr. If you want "hassle free" connection then again the wireless surely wins and bluetooth must be a bonus? I have not looked at prices for a twin sat tuner Edison vs Zgemma at £72.49. But if £15 is the difference then the Edison must be the way forwards as it does everything the zgemma can offer and more.

Techies, if I am wrong with anything above it wouldn't surprise me so please do put me right as what I have put above is how I understand it. It is not a Vix vs anything or me slating anything, so I am happy to receive corrections.... but I won't be taking my trousers down for a spanking :no no:

Last edited:
Woosh I'd like to think I'm talking from experience here as a user of an h2s and now a edision, there is very little performance wise between the two, I found both to be on an even Par with each other, my reason for upgrading was solely because I wanted official vix and that is all, it was the closet box in a reasonable price range to a zgemma, has it blown me away? No because everything is exactly the same set up wise as my zgemma, has it made my life that little bit easier? Yes by being able to update at the touch of a button but that is really it. I'll never plan on using the built in wi-fi and have yet to find a reason to use Bluetooth.
Like I've said previously if you use atv and are loyal to it then I really don't see the point in ditching the zgemma as you won't gain much more from the edision unless you really have a use for the extra hardware features, but if you started with a zgemma and will only ever use vix like I did then the edision is the next step to take for the very reasonable price.
There are obviously some satellite enthusiasts that don't just use there boxes for the same reasons that a fair share of us on tech kings do and will be able to justify shelling out for a £200-£300 receiver, but for what I use it for I don't see the point in having an expensive box as one day and it's inevitable everything will go dark and you'll have a rather expensive paper weight! As long as the box does what you want it to do and does it well then that's all that matters, keep it as cheap as possible because that's the sole reason why we do what we do in the first place and when that day comes it won't hurt as bad, that's my view of it anyway!

Last edited:
I have just taken a look at the price of a twin sat Edision OS Mini 2x DVB-S/S2

and not only have I just realised they are called Edision and not Edison

but they are £27 more expensive than the zgemma H2S. This difference will keep zgemma the best budget buy box there is, because of the budget price. Some people and I have been one of them, just cannot afford an extra £25 for something no matter what it is. £25 to some is a lot of money. That is the cost of the line, That £100 Edision bill is the total setup cost of of a zgemma with a 32gb USB and line.

So initially I did say tha the Edision will lead the way at some point, but after looking a the price and my past situations I think Zgemma will remain number one in the new user and budget users list.

------------------------------------------------
Also, going back to the vix officially supported debate, today I read this: http://www.techkings.org/general-ca...ust-killed-my-edision-os-mini.html#post544198

I don't know anything about vix, openvix or what not, but this can't be good?

Last edited:
Wow I don't expect such a response but its great to see how people feel about what makes a box worth the money.

For those who support the zgemma's I can see your point and the price difference can still make the choice for the zgemma better considering you need to add the cost of a line and storage when purchasing any low cost box. If zgemma offered 2 year warranty then I think zgemma would rock the low cost box market, maybe they will introduce it in time. Alos it will be interesting to see how zgemma develop over the next few years, to me they are basically a new company compared to the likes of VU so what will they bring over the next few boxes??

As for the Edision box, I personally think its the box to get on a budget, for me its the 2 year warranty and the official Vix support that makes the difference, if you need help and can't get it here then openvix forum would be my next stop with error logs in hand. Solid build with a few extra features at a low price for what you get.

i take acception of this statement above
" for I don't see the point in having an expensive box as one day and it's inevitable everything will go dark and you'll have a rather expensive paper weight! "

well if i want a mahogany coffin it will be dark inside ROFL:yes!:

On prices, the Edision is £99 for twin sat or combo.

The Zgemma twin sat is £ 72.50 the combo £89 from our Zgemma sponser.

We don't know the price of the H3 series, coming out soon, but it's not going to be cheaper
than the H2 series is it ?

Could we use these as a basis for our little debate otherwise we will be back to Ebay lol

So we eventually got around to the "official" thing.

Here is how I remember it, I am happy to be corrected on any of the points, but this is based on the posts I was reading at the time,
Zgemma is launched, the modded vix image was used by about 95% of the punters. Vix where not happy about it.

Reason as far as I can tell, in there opinion the box wasn't up to scratch and they didn't want the Vix name being associated
with loads of problems which wasn't down to the image they produced.

This probably goes back to the way they done the same thing, modding the Vix image for the Cloud Ibox which turned out to be a pile of crap.

So basically the box was marketed by Zgemma as if it was a box with official Vix support which wasn't true.

In my opinion at this time Vix was seen by most people as the best image about. The box wouldn't have sold
half as many units if it was marketed with another image.

Probably a good 12 months on OpenAtV joined the party. Which is probably a good thing as now it has
Official support from them.

Weak cable tuners are starting to be mentioned, are there cracks appearing ? Are they getting greedy ?
Are they bringing the H3 series out to mask problems with the H2 series, is there a pattern emerging ? lol

So maybe when we looking at choosing either of these boxes, track records and warranties could be quite a big
consideration.

Last edited:
It's on a Zgemma site on facebook

I will see if I can find the link again and post it.

No prices, no spec, just says due for release

I have quizzed Zgemma about this and it refers to the range the H2H and H2S fall into. It will be the H3 file structure.

They said "H3 is the generic name for the h2s h2h and hs..... They are known as the h3 series"

So sadly for me and other zgemma fans there is no new boxes except for the most recent couple.

"Powerful and Faster Zgemma H3 series Dual Core CPU Linux E2 is coming in stock now"

Typical Zgemma, misleading !! lol

They said "H3 is the generic name for the h2s h2h and hs..... They are known as the h3 series"

I suppose this makes perfect sense, to some !!! LOL

HTML:
https://www.facebook.com/permalink.php?id=803748416388941&story_fbid=879222632174852

Last edited:
what a good topic..... here are my narrow minded views on both as I have both.... The zgemma are the cheapest & not vix supported this lead to the "old school" boys dissing them...saying things like get a proper box not a clone?!?!? why because it was cheap & the people behind them are known within the cloning community so many old school guys didnt/dont see them as a genuine box even though they are not a clone!
Next came comments about the sheer number problem posts in the zgemma section leading to suggestions that they must be crap how ever IF you look at the topics & causes you will see the vast majority are not box related & are user errors or knowledge based issues! These were most prevalent on the slower not so great 1st gen zgemma's but still appear daily as the draw of cheap 2nd gen zgemma's has brought Techkings many new members with little or no understanding of these boxes!

Having used both zgemma & Edision for a while I can say as an end user you will see very little if any difference in how both makes perform as both are super quick & stand a good chance of giving the bigger named brands a run for there money! The Edision has more features & will appeal to many over the zgemma for that reason plus it is supported for vix as many have already said but is this enough to make it any better? this all depends on how you use your box, many wont even use the extra features (I know I dont) so on balance from what I have leaned playing around with both boxes & by no means do I think I am an authority on these things... either box is a good choice for anyone although I suspect the Edision will be the choice of techies. Regardless of which brand you favor they both offer exceptional value for money over performance & once set up correctly can rival plus in some cases smash the big boys like VU in performance.
So in closing I would conclude its personal choice.... I'm not even going to get into which OS is best as thats another topic all together...but imo having run both the latest ATV & VIX on both boxes ATV is the way forward for zgemma, VIX is ever so slightly smoother than ATV on the Edision but the difference is so small I do not see it being a deciding factor!

Regardless of Edision or zgemma its an Enigma2 win win situation...all the tricks & toys of higher priced bigger brands at a bargain basement price with the biggest winner being forums like Techkings as people like me get to learn & on occasion give a little something back by contributing with the knowledge gained from here!

Last edited:
Back