mtpockets OpenATV4.2 for Zgemma Star 2S 20150403

Flashed my box last night, all working ok apart from static noise on HD channels ?

Not come across that before....Did you have HD before? Is this a new box? If so things to check - F-connecters and cables including right back to the dish, dish aligment? Is it interference from another nearby device (bad shielding?) sorry you have me stumped.

It is a new box, had an F5 before that using hdmi. I have sorted now anyway thanks. I changed the audio > basic > dolby Digital / DTS downmix setting to yes and I now have sound on the HD channels instead of the buzzing noise.

Now all I need to do is get my usals setup and scan some more sats :o)

t is a new box, had an F5 before that using hdmi. I have sorted now anyway thanks. I changed the audio > basic > dolby Digital / DTS downmix setting to yes and I now have sound on the HD channels instead of the buzzing noise.

Now all I need to do is get my usals setup and scan some more sats )

Ah I see now - sorry was on the wrong track I thought you meant video noise!!! Oops - at least you managed to sort yourself out (y)

Out of interest how much did the motorised setup cost you? What size dish have you gone for? Is it worth doing now with the availability of IPTV..... what's out there worth watching I guess is what I'm asking too... sorry for so many Q's

Last edited:
Are there any plans to update to a newer version of Openatv? Just wondering if there any improvements we could get.

I'd certainly stay clear of anything built on version 5.0 as it was never a final release and had loads of flaws.

I have built a version based on 5.1 this week and I am in the process of testing. I've used a plugin that moves all of the /usr directory to USB it seems to make it a bit quicker as less data occupying flash memory and this also allows loads more plugins and extensions to be installed and in theory for it to still be flashable...but I still have to find out a way of backing it up!!

In all honesty though I haven't noticed many changes that make the upgrade a necessity and I think for now sticking with 4.2 is probably wise. My latest backup of 4.2 was uploaded to TK only on Monday and IMHO is much better than the previous one...

Last edited:
Are there any plans to update to a newer version of Openatv? Just wondering if there any improvements we could get.

I'd certainly stay clear of anything built on version 5.0 as it was never a final release and had loads of flaws.

I have built a version based on 5.1 this week and I am in the process of testing. I've used a plugin that moves all of the /usr directory to USB it seems to make it a bit quicker as less data occupying flash memory and this also allows loads more plugins and extensions to be installed and in theory for it to still be flashable...but I still have to find out a way of backing it up!!

In all honesty though I haven't noticed many changes that make the upgrade a necessity and I think for now sticking with 4.2 is probably wise. My latest backup of 4.2 was uploaded to TK only on Monday and IMHO is much better than the previous one...

Great! Thanks for the information. Just wondering, is updating from 4.2 to 5.1 possible in terms of keeping all existing settings or would it be a case of starting from scratch?

Also, if i want to update my box with one of your old 4.2 images to your latest one, how would i do that? I'm guessing my customised settings would be retained? Thanks.

Great! Thanks for the information. Just wondering, is updating from 4.2 to 5.1 possible in terms of keeping all existing settings or would it be a case of starting from scratch?

Apparently you can back up settings but I've never had any joy with it, I always start from scratch.

Also, if i want to update my box with one of your old 4.2 images to your latest one, how would i do that? I'm guessing my customised settings would be retained? Thanks.
No it's a re-flash so will overwrite everything

I have been getting a few question PM'd to me about various Zgemma boxes
I was wondering can this be used on the H1 combo as the other image (modded Vix) looks like it
can be used on S2 and H1 ?

Sorry !! didn't see this here :binoculars:

Last edited:
Nice image! You wouldn't advise anyone to update from 4.2 right?

Wrong! I have 5.1 on test at the moment and it seems ok..... certainly steer clear of 5.0 though. I probably won't get chance to get a version on here for another couple of weeks......

i have a wireless dongle for f5s .can i use this with zgemma. if yes do i need any other plugin .

Yes you can and with ATV no I don't think you need anything extra - just press Blue, Network and network wizard if it doesn't just pick it up on reboot..

However slower ping times mean more glitches freezes so I always recommend network connection in the following order....

Ethernet Cable over Homeplugs over Wi-Fi ie Wi0Fi is your last choice - also don't forget you need a USB disk connected with my build so you'll need a USB hub or something messy sticking out the front of your box as there's only one USB port on the back.

Hey, help would be appreciated! I've flashed the box and now at the part where I need to initialise that USB. When I got the boot screen with the SKY logo and various other logos etc my screen goes blank - its like my TV has disconnected from the box. Any help with this one!! Would be massively appreciated!!

Hey, help would be appreciated! I've flashed the box and now at the part where I need to initialise that USB. When I got the boot screen with the SKY logo and various other logos etc my screen goes blank - its like my TV has disconnected from the box. Any help with this one!! Would be massively appreciated!!
I guess you're trying to install on a non-1080p TV? If so try connecting via the phono video cable and then change in the settings then you can connect via hdmi after a reboot or if you have the know-how get the ip address of your box from your router, enter the ip address in your web browser on your PC (Internet Explorer, Chrome,Firefox etc) this will launch OpenWebIf the web page that allows control of your box online you can then use the on-screen remote to change the video settings on your box remotely.

I guess you're trying to install on a non-1080p TV? If so try connecting via the phono video cable and then change in the settings then you can connect via hdmi after a reboot or if you have the know-how get the ip address of your box from your router, enter the ip address in your web browser on your PC (Internet Explorer, Chrome,Firefox etc) this will launch OpenWebIf the web page that allows control of your box online you can then use the on-screen remote to change the video settings on your box remotely.

You we're spot on with that made - cheers for the advice! One other question tho if it's cool - I've got the image etc running on the box but none of the channels are working other than the freeview ones. I've tried editing the newcams file through FileZilla and restarting the mgcamd through softcams? I'm a complete novo with these boxes as you can tell! Image looks quality tho man so well played!

Plenty of advice on servers/lines elsewhere on the forum mate so I won't repeat - just make sure yours is active and also that your details were entered correctly. Have you used the line previously on another box? Double check with your provider or get a trial from another.

Nice image! You wouldn't advise anyone to update from 4.2 right?

Wrong! I have 5.1 on test at the moment and it seems ok..... certainly steer clear of 5.0 though. I probably won't get chance to get a version on here for another couple of weeks......

I'm running 5.0 and have been for about a month seams ok but not using all the apps and done done much with kodi but most other stuff seams ok

Back