New ZGEMMA-STAR 2S Twin Sat

Another question.

Can I use a 2.5" HDD in an enclosure that isn't powered? Will the box power it?

Or do I need to get an enclosure that has its own power source?

I have a 1tb 3.5" external drive already but I'm not sure if it would work as its in a double enclosure with a 500gb drive I have attached to my HTPC.

Just to triple check (sorry I know it's annoying, I just want to be
100% sure it is suitable for my usage) adding an external drive will give the ability to record two things at once (as long as I'm watching one) and not just the ability to record one thing whilst watching another. Just that I often record something on another channel and record the program I'm watching so someone else can watch it later.

Has anyone ordered one from the link above? It's the cheapest I can find. I emailed asking about warranty length and got a reply pretty much right away saying its 12 months. The forum member selling them mentioned here is a bit more expensive but I'd rather buy from someone people recommend.

I was recommended by someone else on Wednesday to buy from mobile shop. they said they ordered Sunday received it Tuesday so I ordered mine Wednesday with 1 to 3 days delivery still waiting ill let you know if it comes today.

Box will power an external portable hdd but better to buy 1 with separate power.
can record 2 at time.

I was recommended by someone else on Wednesday to buy from mobile shop. they said they ordered Sunday received it Tuesday so I ordered mine Wednesday with 1 to 3 days delivery still waiting ill let you know if it comes today.

Thanks. Will wait to hear.

Box will power an external portable hdd but better to buy 1 with separate power.
can record 2 at time.

Thank you. Will get a 2'5" caddy with its own power supply.

Will be flashing your vix imagine. New to flashing etc so checking the guide I just put the file on the USB and start the box up with it in the back port. Then wait for it to restart and that's it? Plugins etc to be downloaded via the box itself but never update the image that way.

Does the autotimer plug in work with this?

Apologies for all the questions. I just don't want to mess up.

Last edited:
and you know vix call that box a clone as they dont support it.

Openvix generally only supports boxes sold by the owners world of satellite..
They inforce a near Napoleonic approach to their images and even asking for help and support on their site they seem more interested in belittling you rather than helping you.
Besides there are OpenVix images all be it patched images that run perfectly for these boxes anyway so who cares what they think...plus official support from other teams like OpenAtv and its quite surprising considering they are meant to be part of the same OE Alliance..tut tut tut.. This is only my opinion..

---------- Post Merged at 07:38 PM ----------

can record 2 at time.

I have a single usb caddy from fleabay for £5 takes a 2.5 inch drive which i have a 500gb works great and records 2 channels etc at the same time..
No issues but as you say i believe it has a bit of hardware inside caddy that splits the power and allows only one usb so check this before you buy

as long as they know to use patched image,but my worry is them doing an online update?? i do both help and ask lol.its the end user that could get conned into buying one thinking vix do support.

as long as they know to use patched image,but my worry is them doing an online update?? i do both help and ask lol.its the end user that could get conned into buying one thinking vix do support.

This is why its important for the end user to do their research and use the official zgemma update/downloads site..Patched images are hosted there but officially supported images you are redirected to image team site..so there is a clue to watch out for.
Luckily if the user does do a software update/inbox update while using a patched image it WILL NOT BRICK BOX you will simply need to re-flash and start from scratch..its basically the same as any other genuine box if you flash incorrect image or it glitches while updating it dont kill the box but a new install is required.

Last edited:

Just wondering if your box turned up okay from mobi shop?

There's a few on eBay now for around the £70 mark so might just go with one of those.

There's a few on eBay now for around the £70 mark so might just go with one of those.

If it's any help I have purchased a few times from mobi and always had next day delivery with no issues..they also always answer your messages,for me anyway.

If it's any help I have purchased a few times from mobi and always had next day delivery with no issues..they also always answer your messages,for me anyway.

Thank you.

Thank you.

Your welcome and good luck mate...

Only just seen your message I phoned them Tuesday to find out where it was they said there was a shipping error and posted it then and I received it Wednesday.

I really like sucmnsee backup Image (vix)
Vix Apollo 153 ... you can find it under the firmware section in zgemma forum part
I'm complete noob at this and I just followed his instructions guide and it worked...really easy
It looks nice like a sky setup I would think( haven't seen a sky setup in years!

i believe bees has done an excellent vix for enigma 2 guide somewhere in main forum. looked at it last week i think. v detailed with pics

Hi Sucmnsee, I'm running your image on my box and it's great. I've followed your setup guide, bt the only issue I'm having is with EGP. Do you know how I change the region of the bbc & itv channels from NI to my local area? Plus how do I get the EPG to update the paid channels, as it is only showing now and then at the mo!

Back