openbox v8s 7 day auto updating epg

Okay, here we go...
I would advise anybody having trouble with their boxes, to contact the seller/provider and they should be able to help...

Hi I'm not sure where to post this as I'm new to this and not the most technical of people when it comes to this stuff. I have a V8s openbox which I purchased around 7 months ago. All was working fine till around 3 months back so I just left it. I've now decided to cancel my virgin TV and sort my openbox out. I factory reset it as I was receiving no signal on every channel and nothing was working, i.e. Web tv, weather etc... but it was saying it was connected via Ethernet and had the green dot highlighted stating it was connected and it was also letting me download channel lists and firmware etc.. so I assumed it's connected to the internet? I paid someone to come out yesterday to look at my sky dish and align it and sort it thinking that was the problem (I originally thought this was the full problem), he sorted all that and I connected an old sky box up and it worked perfect... but when I connect my openbox nothing works, every channels has no signal and SNR10% on all channels. I purchased a gift yesterday and put it on the CCCam correctly and it's showing as online, I've also tried 2 older gifts I had which still had around 6 months remaining on them, but still nothing.

Would really appreciate any help as I'm pulling my hair out trying to sort this and can't understand what the problem is or if I'm doing something wrong!

Thanks guys

Auto update only works in the stand- by mode If your box is left on it will not auto update

Ah, i wondered why i had to do it manually every week lol So if i put my box into standby every night, will it update every night or only once a week ?

Took the box to my dads and is working perfect there. I'm thinking it's the Ariel cables from the sat dish at my house that are the problem? But sky channels 1,2,3,4,5 were working when connected with the same cable wires so im not sure? But the box 100% is not the problem

Took the box to my dads and is working perfect there. I'm thinking it's the Ariel cables from the sat dish at my house that are the problem? But sky channels 1,2,3,4,5 were working when connected with the same cable wires so im not sure? But the box 100% is not the problem

Sounds like you've done some good inverstigating, although it's turned up some weird occurrences. On one hand, your old sky box works so that would say your dish and coax's are ok, you say you tried your openbox at your fathers, all ok, so that points to your box being ok. The thing that I be thinking about, is whether or not the tolerance on the openbox regarding signal quality is lower than the sky box. Is your isp blocking anything? Who is it? Is there websafe or some other safe guard type service running?

new to all of this but will give it a go!

---------- Post Merged at 08:41 AM ----------

Just a quick question, will this do 7 day and a series link type thing on openbox or do you need to set recordings each wee for example, does this work better on the zg box?

new to all of this but will give it a go!

---------- Post Merged at 08:41 AM ----------

Just a quick question, will this do 7 day and a series link type thing on openbox or do you need to set recordings each wee for example, does this work better on the zg box?
You cannot do series links with these You can with the zgemma boxes and Auto update channels and epg and lots more

I can only ever get this to work for around 2 days at a time, then it stops auto updating. I always put my boxes in standby too, overnight. Any ideas?

Yeah it seems both the box and dish are fine. I'm with virgin media, box use to work perfectly fine before so can't see that being the problem? I've got someone coming round my house in a minute to put me a new cable from the dish into my house and hopefully this works. It's turning out to be a very expensive luxury to have

hi bdawson1987

you could try this, I watched on the laptop looks great = OpenBox SV8 EPG & Recording How to SetUp - EPG Setup Only works on Genuine Boxes

***Using XMLTV Epg***
If you are going to or do use XMLTV Epg with your Channel List
please try an use a separate
usb memory stick /hard drive and best to use the front USB port if your box has one and it allows.
Why you may ask.....
If you are using the same USB for XMLTV and to update Channel list every time you remove your USB you basically remove XMLTV.
But what you may not realise is when you add XMLTV it burn flashes files onto your USB (normally blank TEST white files)
so failure to delete these on your pc/laptop can cause conflicts when you try to update XMLTV
Are you getting the Year 1903 issue this may be a fix
If you have removed your USB and deleted the white files before
re-adding your USB go to Epg settings and change from xmltv to satellite then exit menu back to Tv. Once you have re-added USB Now go back in to epg settings and change it back to xmltv. Download it and the date should be correct.

i don't remove my usb, but the epg only works for 2 days and then i have to manually update again. I always put my box in standby overnight, too. Annoying!

Back