Motorised Dish

Seems my lads egnoring my texts now got a feeling he doesn't want to do it.How hard are they to set up,do I need an expensive meter or just a cheap one

If you need to be up a ladder, it can be quite awkward - you can get a cheap signal meter but it doesn't tell you what satellite you're locked onto so they're no good on their own.

You would need 2 people ideally - 2 of you to carry it up the ladder with one of you holding it into place whilst the other tightens it up then one go indoors and keep and eye on the signal level / channels on the box to tell you when it's got a signal then just tweak it if need be.

Ideally you want a channel list on the receiver first - you would also need to program your longitude and latitude into usals. Make sure you use the elevation table that's in the back of your motors manual.

Where are you located?

I bought one of these dishes last week and a csl sat finder meter for a tenner from amazon. I swapped the pole for T&k brackets and scaffold pole as that was far easier to get perfectly straight and true than the pole included in the kit,. Set it up Saturday morning in just short of 3 hours and all seems to be working fine. If the mounting pole is even slightly out you will not get all the sats properly, check out dishpointer website for a lot of helpful info regarding satellite position and alignment

Where would I be able to get t&k brackets from,tidy garden up the other day and found a scaffold pole that was left behind.So I guess I can use this,it's quite heavy like hate that go full of the wall

Got mine off of Amazon they are 18 inch, looking at my purchase history they were 15 quid including the clamps to hold the pole.

You need to measure under your soffit/gutter to make sure you have enough clearance to get past that. The length of pole will decide the clearance you'll get elsewhere (if it's going over a roofline)

You need to measure under your soffit/gutter to make sure you have enough clearance to get past that. The length of pole will decide the clearance you'll get elsewhere (if it's going over a roofline)

Well my sky dish is under the gutter so I guess I don't really need to have it above the gutter.Was thinking bracket to get it away from the wall so the dish can move.I also read that by using these brackets make it more easier to get it straight ect so can pick up the arc correctly.

If I'm paying to get it installed I may as well make sure it's done correctly and with a good fixing to make sure it won't move

My dish is about 3 feet under upstairs windows, house faces south with no obstructions so don't need the height, made it easy to install as wouldn't have even contemplated working at gutter height. The ebay item you linked to toffee appears to be very similar to mine and will take a pole up to 2.5 inch, just measure the width of your pole to make sure it is 2.5 inch or smaller.

Forgive my ignorance but is it possible to obtain premier league live games with English commentary on any other satellite's 19.2 etc? Living in the most northern point of England would a 80cm dish suffice it round I have to perhaps get a 1metre one? Tia

Forgive my ignorance but is it possible to obtain premier league live games with English commentary on any other satellite's 19.2 etc? Living in the most northern point of England would a 80cm dish suffice it round I have to perhaps get a 1metre one? Tia
You can get premier matches with a euro sub, but no English commentary, (Sats 39E, 19E, 13E, 1W, 30W), 80cm dish will do.

Best Sat for Premiership fooball tonight - Hispasat 30W - Sport TV2 HD & Sport TV3 HD (12242 H 27500) - Showing both matches.

Last edited:
You just need to sync your radio with the full HD football from various sats. There's more to sat than sky uk. Sometimes you'll find a game in english. I like watching the darts in full HD with English sky commentary via nova sports....

Am i right in thinking that all this motorised dish talk is mainly through the prism of football channels albeit in perhaps a foreign language?
Im a cricket fan and the old fella is in to speedway, hows that going to be covered?
Not sure the Spanish or anyone else on any of the easterly sats are cricket nuts are they?
Don't get me wrong i want the football too but all talk seems to be based around footer. Other sports are available.
Im looking at this option, as my months evaluation of IPTV, purchased today, from a hitherto flawless diligent CS provider, of over 3 years, is effing garbage.

Sky sports Germany is at 19E but i don't know if they show cricket, maybe they do, England vs South Africa is on next week so i'll see if thats on, I'm sure it could be found on some of the other Satellite channels. BT Sport has obtained exclusive UK rights to Speedway this year, coverage starts on 19th June but the channels could be gone by then, again it might be found somewhere on satellite. The 2 Eurosports channels would cover most other sports, they both have English audio are in HD.

Last edited:
Ok been let down on this dish seen another lad he won't do it.So me and my mate going to have a go at it least I can save some cash.

My dish is on the back of the house so going to place this on the side of the house as the lnb will still point the same way.Couple of questions

Will a bog standard £10 sat finder from screwfix be ok to set the dish up.

Anyone got a link to a good step by step guide to set this satellite up.

Last one what size bolts should I buy to fasten the t&k brackets to the fall as I guess raw plugs are no good

A cheapo sat finder will not tell you what satellite you're pointed at and with them being so close together, it's going to be pretty much useless - better to use your receiver.

You want to align the dish as due south as you can then tweak it for 0.8w - what receiver are you using?

The bolts are the same as you would get with a tv wall bracket.

Back